The superfood that no one is talking about (yet!) – Health Horizons brings us Hemp Seeds, a highly misunderstood product that is packed with proteins, good fats and minerals!
Hemp seeds are a highly nutritious food source that offer a variety of health benefits. They are an excellent source of plant-based protein, containing all nine essential amino acids that the body cannot produce on its own. Additionally, they are rich in healthy fats, particularly omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which can help to reduce inflammation and promote heart health. Although hemp seeds are derived from the same species as cannabis, they come from a distinct variety of the plant that contains minimal levels of THC (the psychoactive component of cannabis). Therefore, hemp seeds are safe and suitable for human consumption as a food source.
For the purpose of this article, we will focus on Raw Hemp Seeds by The Health Horizons. Hemp seeds as a superfood are similar to other plant-based food sources such as flax seeds and chia seeds with some key distinct benefits.
Why you should include Hemp seeds in your diet
- High in protein – packed with edestin and albumin, considered as “high-quality storage proteins”
- Contains healthy fats like Omega 3 & Omega 6 which help with improved heart health
- Contains a range of micronutrients – vitamins and minerals, including vitamin E, phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, and zinc, which are essential for various bodily functions such as maintaining healthy bones, supporting the immune system, and promoting healthy skin and hair.
Who should avoid this product
There is currently not enough research to support the consumption of hemp during pregnancy and postpartum recovery, hence we suggest avoiding or consuming it under the guidance of a healthcare professional.
Let’s decode the packaging
- Nutritional values per 100 gm :
To calculate the energy in kcals, let’s do the breakdown where protein and carbs are each multiplied by 4 and fat is multiplied by 9 :
- Protein * 4 = 22.93*4 = 91.72 kcals
- Carbs * 4 = 32.12*4 = 128.48 kcals
- Total Fat * 9 = 30.04*9 = 270.36 kcals
This totals to 490.56 kcals per 100 gms. A single serving of 5 grams as an anytime snack or with meals is an easy addition to your diet to increase daily energy intake.
- Raw hemp seeds contain 26.3 grams of unsaturated fat, a healthy amount of good fats
- MUFA (monounsaturated fatty acids) & PUFA (polyunsaturated fatty acids), mostly present in Omega 3,6 & 9 contain healthy lipid molecules and are good for heart health.
Shyft Nutritionist’s opinion
As a great source of plant-based protein, hemp seeds contain all the essential amino acids, making them a complete protein source. They also have the right source of omega 3 & omega 6 which makes these seeds a good choice for improving not only heart health but also skin health! Since this is a product that is dense in its nutritional value, it needs to be consumed in moderation – 1 teaspoon or 5 grams is safe to consume on a day-to-day basis.
From the brand
Health Horizons’ core is to deliver nutrition for a healthy body and mind with the help of Hemp and its extracts. We are a pioneer in the domestic Hemp Industry, envisioned to create awareness about the benefits of Hemp in India. We are grateful to be a part of the domestic Hemp Industry, and envision creating awareness and a powerful impact on society.
Overall, hemp seeds are a great addition to a healthy and balanced diet, and Health Horizons is doing an excellent job in bringing hemp to us in a variety of forms for both consumption and topical use, as well as creating awareness and promoting their benefits.
Share this article