As gut-friendly drinks gain popularity, one traditional drink making its mark is Water Kefir by Mavi’s Pantry!
Kefir is a probiotic, traditional Indian beverage, created through the fermentation of kefir grains. These grains are composed of a symbiotic culture of bacteria and yeast (SCOBY) and are a mass of microorganisms held together by a matrix of proteins, sugars, and lipids, with a cauliflower-like appearance.
When kefir grains are fermented with milk or water, the resulting beverage offers a range of benefits due to the diverse combination of bacteria and yeast present in the grains. Bacteria species in kefir grains ferment the sugar, producing lactic acid, which gives the water kefir its sour taste. This lactic acid helps in stimulating the immune system and promoting the growth of good bacteria in the gut, aiding in digestion. The Yeast helps convert sugar into ethanol and carbon dioxide, which creates a natural fizzy texture in kefir.
Water Kefir by Mavi’s Pantry is a carbonated, low-calorie drink (6.8 kcals per 100 ml) without any fat or added synthetic sugar, flavoured with antioxidant-rich blue pea flower tea. It has probiotics, anti-oxidants, and vitamins B & C which help in calming the gut, keeping it healthy and happy!
Why you should try Water Kefir
- Probiotic & gut-friendly – includes good bacteria which are live microorganisms, commonly found in fermented foods such as yogurt.
- Natural & organic, no use of chemicals
- Great alternative for vegans & those with lactose intolerance against its more common dairy counterpart
- Reduces bloating, indigestion and acidity
Things to note
- Water kefir is not as beneficial as milk kefir in terms of nutritional value, as milk provides added benefits of protein, calcium & vitamin D.
- Kefir can cause side effects like bloating, nausea, cramping, and constipation, especially if one’s not used to consuming probiotic drinks. With regular consumption under the guidance of a healthcare professional, this usually gets better.
Who should avoid this product :
- Individuals with diabetes should avoid this product since the ingredients include organic sugar cane
- Carbonation or the fizziness of the drink, even though it is a result of the natural fermentation process, makes this drink unsuitable for those with high blood pressure.
- Pregnant and breastfeeding women should avoid this drink as there is not enough research yet to support the safety of kefir consumption in such cases.
Let’s decode the packaging
- Raw, Alive and Probiotic: this refers to live bacteria cultures which are actively fermenting the drink. When consumed, these live bacteria help improve the microbial balance of the gut.
- Ingredients – Water, Organic Cane sugar, Kefir grains, Blue pea flower
- Organic cane sugar: helps kickstart the fermentation process
- Blue pea flower: used as a natural blue colourant and is most commonly consumed as an ingredient in herbal teas. The flower has antioxidants, anti-inflammatory & anti-bacterial properties which makes it a great addition to this drink.
- Storage instructions: refrigerating helps to slow down the fermentation which helps increase the shelf life.
Shyft Nutritionist’s opinion
Water kefir can be a great addition to one’s regular diet as a probiotic drink since it has a variety of benefits, especially being gut friendly and aiding digestion
Mavi’s pantry offers fermented food & beverages. The brand envisions itself as India’s representative for sustainable living. They believe that fermented beverages should become a part of our culture as a healthy alternative to all the two-minute solutions!
So, next time you reach for a drink, skip the sodas and caffeinated options and give water kefir a try; your gut will thank you for making the choice!
Share this article